Snowflake Challenge - 8 through 12
Jan. 12th, 2016 08:50 amDay 8 - Interact with someone.
This one was done within the first day or two. This challenge makes it very easy to meet new people but I don't want to go overboard because I'm not the greatest at keeping up with my reading list.
Day 9 - Set some goals.
I had every intention of skipping this one because it sounded too much like "New Years Resolutions" which I don't believe in doing. But then a thing happened this weekend and I realized there was in fact a goal I needed to set for myself.
Stop being so apologetic. My job is as valid as anybody else's job. It is okay to call somebody out for not paying me at the end of the week. Stop saying "I'm sorry" because I had to ask to be paid. Stop feeling like I have to tell them exactly why I need the money. THEY should be sorry for making me ask for money, making me feel like I don't deserve to be paid for what I do. Not the other way around. This goes for other areas in my life too, don't apologize for going to that concert I couldn't afford but made me happy, for getting that tattoo that you think I will regret one day, for not wanting to text you today, etc. etc..
And another goal would be to take better care of myself. Make time to for walks, drink more water, get more sleep.
Day 10 - Rec resources.
This is probably one of the days I should skip. I don't really have fannish and/or creative resources. I just hang out on twitter and tumblr mostly. Ode to Frank is a good place to keep up with all things Frank. I think if I went through my old bookmarks I might find some things I thought were worth hanging onto... like some early MCR interviews, an old James Dewees primer from 2008, a Mikey/Pete manifesto from 2008, I did have the old ftwillz blog on skeleton crew bookmarked but it looks like that page is gone now, as are most of Pete's old blog sites, this was a good MCR resource for old magazine scans once upon a time, mcr.ahistoryof.net was another good one for early MCR media, see also video). I used to keep tabs on band fandom reference over on lj... oh, and here's a random "everything masterpost" that has nothing at all to do with bandom but I saved for the hell of it. Well, that was a fun little walk down memory lane.
Day 11 - List three things you like about yourself.
(a.k.a. the hardest challenge yet.)
1. My tattoos.
2. I am a Girl Scout troop leader. It has inspired me to be a better person in so many ways.
3. I like to think I am good mother, wife, childcare provider, and friend.
Day 12 - What makes you fannish?
I have yet to figure out that ONE particular thing that makes me cross that line. At first it was a concert. I went to a concert with my mom because she didn’t want to go alone, didn’t even particularly like the band when I agreed to it. After that show I went home, sat down at the computer, and looked up everything I could find. The internet was a scary, new place at the time (97), but I managed to find a world of like minded people that I never even knew existed.
After that, it was an episode of a show. Spike’s character had always been intriguing, but there was that one episode that sent me down the rabbit hole. Pretty sure it was Fool For Love, specifically.
Then it was a book. What do you mean I need to wait for the next book? You can’t kill that character! I want to know more about this person’s past! Was I the only one who caught that subtext, I KNOW I wasn’t! *runs to the internet*
And another episode of another show. Yes, I know they’re brothers, but I can’t be the only one who got those vibes from that scene. And that scene. AND THAT SCENE OMG! *The people living in my computer will agree, I know they will!*
And then it was a song. It took one song for me to fall headfirst into bandom. Yule Shoot Your Eye Out on a random Christmas mix. It wasn’t even labeled. I remember using the lyrics to look up the song. And I definitely remember being horrified when I found out it was by Fall Out Boy. But I kept the song on repeat. And inevitably I looked them up. And those of you who are, or were ever a part of bandom, know that sometimes all it takes is a song, and a google search.
This one was done within the first day or two. This challenge makes it very easy to meet new people but I don't want to go overboard because I'm not the greatest at keeping up with my reading list.
Day 9 - Set some goals.
I had every intention of skipping this one because it sounded too much like "New Years Resolutions" which I don't believe in doing. But then a thing happened this weekend and I realized there was in fact a goal I needed to set for myself.
Stop being so apologetic. My job is as valid as anybody else's job. It is okay to call somebody out for not paying me at the end of the week. Stop saying "I'm sorry" because I had to ask to be paid. Stop feeling like I have to tell them exactly why I need the money. THEY should be sorry for making me ask for money, making me feel like I don't deserve to be paid for what I do. Not the other way around. This goes for other areas in my life too, don't apologize for going to that concert I couldn't afford but made me happy, for getting that tattoo that you think I will regret one day, for not wanting to text you today, etc. etc..
And another goal would be to take better care of myself. Make time to for walks, drink more water, get more sleep.
Day 10 - Rec resources.
This is probably one of the days I should skip. I don't really have fannish and/or creative resources. I just hang out on twitter and tumblr mostly. Ode to Frank is a good place to keep up with all things Frank. I think if I went through my old bookmarks I might find some things I thought were worth hanging onto... like some early MCR interviews, an old James Dewees primer from 2008, a Mikey/Pete manifesto from 2008, I did have the old ftwillz blog on skeleton crew bookmarked but it looks like that page is gone now, as are most of Pete's old blog sites, this was a good MCR resource for old magazine scans once upon a time, mcr.ahistoryof.net was another good one for early MCR media, see also video). I used to keep tabs on band fandom reference over on lj... oh, and here's a random "everything masterpost" that has nothing at all to do with bandom but I saved for the hell of it. Well, that was a fun little walk down memory lane.
Day 11 - List three things you like about yourself.
(a.k.a. the hardest challenge yet.)
1. My tattoos.
2. I am a Girl Scout troop leader. It has inspired me to be a better person in so many ways.
3. I like to think I am good mother, wife, childcare provider, and friend.
Day 12 - What makes you fannish?
I have yet to figure out that ONE particular thing that makes me cross that line. At first it was a concert. I went to a concert with my mom because she didn’t want to go alone, didn’t even particularly like the band when I agreed to it. After that show I went home, sat down at the computer, and looked up everything I could find. The internet was a scary, new place at the time (97), but I managed to find a world of like minded people that I never even knew existed.
After that, it was an episode of a show. Spike’s character had always been intriguing, but there was that one episode that sent me down the rabbit hole. Pretty sure it was Fool For Love, specifically.
Then it was a book. What do you mean I need to wait for the next book? You can’t kill that character! I want to know more about this person’s past! Was I the only one who caught that subtext, I KNOW I wasn’t! *runs to the internet*
And another episode of another show. Yes, I know they’re brothers, but I can’t be the only one who got those vibes from that scene. And that scene. AND THAT SCENE OMG! *The people living in my computer will agree, I know they will!*
And then it was a song. It took one song for me to fall headfirst into bandom. Yule Shoot Your Eye Out on a random Christmas mix. It wasn’t even labeled. I remember using the lyrics to look up the song. And I definitely remember being horrified when I found out it was by Fall Out Boy. But I kept the song on repeat. And inevitably I looked them up. And those of you who are, or were ever a part of bandom, know that sometimes all it takes is a song, and a google search.
no subject
Date: 2016-01-12 08:39 pm (UTC)Hee, your fannishness covers all media. How neat. :)
no subject
Date: 2016-01-13 12:22 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-01-13 04:27 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-01-14 07:34 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-01-15 07:58 am (UTC)Well, I've been saying variations of this for a few years now...so I hope you manage this goal, because I hate seeing you be so hard on yourself.
And the three things you like about yourself are also three things I like about you. Only some of the things, mind you, because you are truly an awesome person that I'm proud to have in my life. <3
no subject
Date: 2016-01-17 06:54 pm (UTC)I love how much you have enjoyed being a girl scout troop leader! I'm so glad that opportunity came along for you and has worked out so well. The girls are lucky to have you!
<3
<3